Bryan Cohen Third Grade Writing Prompts for the Holidays Review


Third Grade Writing Prompts for Holidays: A Creative Writing Workbook 


I was given the opportunity to review several books written by Bryan Cohen.  They are all writing workbooks to help prompt kids in their writing.  I got to review first through fourth grade this month, but I am going to do this post on the 3rd grade one as that is the one that has helped my kids a lot.  These workbooks have story starters in them which are meant to help spur on the imagination and writing skills of the children in these grade levels.  This particular book covers most of the holidays. 

As a former homeschooler, I felt these would work great as a supplement to my children's classroom experience or as a rainy day activity or school break activity.  I have four children ages 13, 11, 7 and 4.  The 4 year old isn't writing yet and the 13 year old writes beautifully.  So with those two aside...I have my 2nd grader and my 6th grader.  My 2nd grader writes above her level, so this was perfect for her.  My 6th grader REALLY struggles in writing, so this book was INCREDIBLE for him to use to help him in that area.  One of the writing prompts is:

1. While Labor Day originally centered on workers' rights and labor
unions, it is now more focused on vacations and enjoying time with family. Do you think this was a positive shift? Why or why not?


This not only gave my 6th grader something to write about...but he also had to do a little bit of research on his own to come to a good conclusion!  I was thrilled to say the least.  He has always disliked writing, but thanks to these books, he kinda enjoys it now!  Here is another great example:

27. In many foreign cultures, Halloween is taken less as a time for
candy and more to remember ancestors. Who is your most memorable ancestor? Why has he or she made such a mark on your family?


My 2nd grader really liked this question because she LOVES to talk about her family and how much she loves them!

I am totally excited about these books and what they have done for my children!  I would HIGHLY recommend them!  Even if just to take out for those particular holidays during the school break or weekend!  They actually can be tons of fun if you do it with your kids! 

"I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review...Soft Lips Products...and GIVEAWAY!!!

New Soft Scrub Advanced Surface Review and Giveaway!

SCHLITTERBAHN GIVEAWAY!!!!