Guest Post by Heather Von St. James, Mesothelioma Survivor


Today we have a little change of pace.  I have a guest post written by Mesothelioma Survivor Heather Von St. James.  Be sure to visit her website at http://www.mesothelioma.com/heather/#.Ufh-dBZgvzI.

Let Heather and I know your thoughts in the comments section.  As someone who lost a mother to Breast Cancer, Heathers story is incredible to me.  I am interested in your thoughts too.  Pay Heather a visit and write her something encouraging in the comments of her or my blog. - Hugs and blessings, Tonya, Nebraska Hockey Mom


Motherhood and Mesothelioma

As soon as I learned I was pregnant, I began preparing for motherhood in order to avoid any surprises. I read books, ate healthy foods, and saw my doctor on a regular basis. During the day, I planned out how I would spend my time with my new baby. In a sense, my life already revolved around my baby. When I saw my daughter for the first time nine months later, I felt as if I were the luckiest person in the world.  My life was filled with enjoyment. 

3 ½ months later, I faced a crisis for which I could never have prepared. My doctor diagnosed me with pleural mesothelioma cancer. Without immediate treatment, I would only have 15 months left to live. I knew at that moment I would do everything I could in order to beat this so I could raise my daughter. 

My husband Cam and I decided that it would be best for me to receive treatment 1200 miles away in Boston, MA from top mesothelioma doctors The days I planned spending with Lily were now being spent trying to survive.  In Boston, surgeons removed my left lung as well as the lining of my diaphragm and heart. For the remainder of Lily’s first year, I underwent the rest of my treatment, which included both chemotherapy and radiation. During this time, Lily stayed with my parents while I was busy fighting for my life. Luckily, I have a caring husband who supported me throughout this trying time. 

When I finally returned home, I was determined to spend my time with my daughter. We took walks, went to the park, and arranged play dates during those times I had enough strength.  There were times I didn’t have enough energy for these activities but we were still able to be together. 

It’s been eight years since Lily’s birth and it seems as though not much has changed. Cam and I still love her more each day. She is a beautiful and optimistic young girl who has a great appreciation for life. She may not remember what we battled during the first year of her life but I will never forget.

Looking back, I am now able to see all the positives that have come out of such a difficult battle. Our family is now closer than ever and we learned to never take anything for granted. I share my story for those facing life’s great challenges in order to provide hope and to let them know that they are not alone. 

Would you like more information about Mesothelioma?  Click http://www.mesothelioma.com/mesothelioma/ or click http://www.mesothelioma.com/treatment/.


Thank you Heather for sharing your very inspiring story!  You are a true inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review...Soft Lips Products...and GIVEAWAY!!!

New Soft Scrub Advanced Surface Review and Giveaway!

SCHLITTERBAHN GIVEAWAY!!!!